When Can I Request a Support Modification?

When Can I Request a Support Modification?

When you have a support agreement put in place, whether it is child support or spousal support, that decision can have a huge impact on your life. If you are the person paying support it can put a large dent in your cash flow. If you are the person receiving the support it could mean the difference between affording rent and buying new clothes for your child or not. These agreements are put into place for a long period of time and are considered pretty concrete, but there are some instances where you can request a modification. Keep reading to learn more about support modifications and how Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP can help.

Alimony & Spousal Support

Both the person paying spousal support and receiving spousal support can request a modification. Grounds for these requests include:

  • The spouse receiving support no longer needs it
  • The spouse paying support loses their job or is otherwise unable to afford payments
  • The spouse receiving support remarries or enters a new domestic partnership
  • The spouse receiving support is not making a good faith effort to become self-supporting
  • Child support has ended

Child Support

If there is a significant change to either parent’s income or the time they spend with the child, there may be a support modification granted. The courts will act in the best interest of the child and typically grant support modification requests when:

  • A parent loses their job
  • A parent gets a new job or promotion
  • A parent gets remarried to a high-earning spouse
  • The custody agreement is changed to share physical custody differently
  • A child has been emancipated
  • Support needs to be extended beyond age 18 for a disabled adult child

The Reason You Need an Attorney for a Support Modification Request

Support agreements are pretty set in stone and can have a drastic impact on your finances and living situation. That is why you need an experienced family law attorney on your side to help you put the best case forward.

Contact Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP today for help with a child support or alimony modification.

Are you looking to request a support modification? Whether you are looking to increase or decrease child support or spousal support, it is important to put the best case forward. These cases can have a significant impact on your finances and your life so you want to do everything possible to be successful with your modification request. Thankfully, Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP are here to help! We have over 27 years of experience and know the ins and outs of the legal system. We will speak with you, review your case, and put together the best modification request possible. Contact us today at 909-482-1422 to schedule your initial consultation.

To learn more about the reliable and quality family law services that we offer, visit us on the web at Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP.