Three Types of Modifications an Attorney Can Help You Make to Your Family Law Agreements

Three Types of Modifications an Attorney Can Help You Make to Your Family Law Agreements

After a divorce, domestic violence incident, paternity dispute or custody battle, a family law order or agreement is typically put into place. This order or agreement is designed to protect the well-being of families and children in the wake of legal issues. However, circumstances often change and evolve. This means that family law orders such as custody, visitation, support, and alimony agreements must also be able to evolve.

Modifications to Child Custody & Visitation Agreements

Child and custody agreements must be very fluid to enable changes in custody and visitation as the dynamics of the situation change. Either parent can request a modification to the existing child custody or visitation agreement with cause. Some examples of this are the necessity to remove a child from an unsafe home environment, denying visitation to a parent that developed a drug or alcohol problem or dealing with relocation. In addition, a modification can be made to provide additional visitation to a parent recovering from an issue that originally made them an unfit parent in the eyes of the court.

Child Support Agreement Modifications

Child support agreements can also be modified. The main reason for a modification is a result of a significant change in either parent’s income or the duration of time the child spends with a particular parent. Specific reasons for a child support modification include a parent losing their job, getting a promotion, change in the custody agreement, or if one parent gets remarried to a high-earning spouse. If you think your situation qualifies for a modification, contact a family law attorney like Kendall, Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP.

Changes to Alimony & Spousal Support Agreements

In the case of alimony and spousal support agreements, both the paying spouse and receiving spouse can request that the agreement be modified at any time. However, there must be a valid reason for requesting the change. Some examples of this include when the spouse receiving payment no longer needs it, like if they became remarried or got promoted at their job and are now making significantly more money. If the spouse paying support loses their job and is unable to afford the pre-established payments, they can also request a modification to the alimony or spousal support agreement. If you think your situation might qualify for a modification, it is important to contact an experienced family law attorney right away.

Hire an Experienced and Fair Family Attorney That Will Fight for a Fair Agreement

Whether you are the party requesting a modification or are responding to a modification request, Kendall, Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP will fight to achieve a fair resolution. As one of the top family law attorneys in Claremont, CA, you can trust Kendall, Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP to work tirelessly for you. Call our office at 909-482-1422 to schedule an initial consultation and learn more about your options.