When can I file for a child custody modification?

There are certain circumstances that allow you to file for a child custody modification. These include:

  • The spouse receiving support no longer needs it
  • The spouse paying support loses their job or is otherwise unable to afford payments
  • The spouse receiving support remarries or enters a new domestic partnership
  • The spouse receiving support is not making a good faith effort to become self-supporting
  • Child support has ended

You want to ensure that your request is filed properly and that you put the best case forward. If you meet any of these requirements and would like to file for a child custody modification, Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP can help.