Yes, the court will consider the length of a marriage when determining spousal support. However, that is not all the court will take into consideration when calculating spousal support.
Other factors the courts will consider include:
- Standard of living while married
- Earning capacity of the spouse requesting support
- Other spouse’s ability to pay support
- Age and health of both spouses
- Division of assets and debts
- Custody arrangements for any children
- Any history of domestic violence
- Existence of any prenuptial agreement
If you need help with your spousal support calculation or divorce case, contact Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP for assistance.