Yes, the court will consider domestic violence when determining spousal support, aka alimony. However, instances of domestic violence are not all the court will take into consideration when determining spousal support.
Other factors the courts will consider when calculating spousal support include:
- Standard of living while married
- Earning capacity of the spouse requesting support
- Other spouse’s ability to pay support
- Age and health of both spouses
- Division of assets and debts
- Custody arrangements for any children
- Any history of domestic violence
- Existence of any prenuptial agreement
If you are wondering what spousal support might be in your situation, contact Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP for assistance.