Can the custody agreement be modified if my former spouse is relocating out of state?

Yes, an out-of-state move by your ex-spouse could call for a revision of the custody agreement. But remember, the court’s primary concern is always what’s best for the child, so changes are not guaranteed. Other instances where a child custody agreement can be modified, include:

  • Establishing sole physical custody to remove children from an unsafe home environment
  • Denying visitation to a parent who has developed a drug or alcohol problem or a dangerous mental illness
  • Providing additional supervised or unsupervised visitation to a parent who is recovering from an issue that previously made them an unfit parent

If you’re in this situation and worried about its impact on your custody agreement, Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP can provide you with the legal advice you need, and represent you in court should proceedings get that far.