Can I modify my child support order?

In some instances, you can submit a request to the court to modify your child support order. Situations where the court might grant a child custody order modification include:

  • The spouse receiving support no longer needs it
  • The spouse paying support loses their job or is otherwise unable to afford payments
  • The spouse receiving support remarries or enters a new domestic partnership
  • The spouse receiving support is not making a good faith effort to become self-supporting
  • Child support has ended

When filing this type of request, you want to ensure that it is filed properly and that you put the best case forward. If you meet any of these requirements and would like to file for a child custody modification, Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP can help.