Do the Courts Grant Grandparents Visitation Rights?

Do the Courts Grant Grandparents Visitation Rights?

Unfortunately, sometimes family situations are complex and difficult, leaving parents or stepparents refusing to allow grandparents to spend time with their grandchildren. If you are a grandparent looking for time with your grandchild you might be wondering what, if any, your rights are. In California, there are some ways to remedy the situation.

Not sure what to do if you want to get visitation with your grandchildren? Keep reading to learn more about grandparent visitation rights and how we can help you exercise your rights!

Do courts grant grandparents visitation rights?

Yes, the California family courts can grant grandparent visitation rights. However, they will only do so in certain circumstances. It is not a given that grandparents will automatically be granted visitation with their grandchildren.

When will the court grant grandparent visitation rights?

Typically, if a grandparent has a pre-existing bond with a grandchild, they are able to file a petition for visitation rights. However, the courts will only do this if it is in the best interest of the child. Visitation is granted in cases where it will provide for continued nurturing and development of a relationship between the grandparent and grandchild if it benefits the child.

Some situations where courts will consider grandparent visitation are if a parent has died, if a stepparent adopts a grandchild, or if married parents are living separately.

How do I get help exercising my rights to grandparent visitation?

If you are interested in exercising your rights to grandparent visitation the best way to start is by contacting an experienced family law attorney like Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP. It is important to put the best case forward and our experienced attorneys can help you do that when filing your petition for grandparent visitation.

If you want help exercising your rights to grandparent visitation, contact Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP today!

If you are trying to exercise your rights to grandparent visitation there may be a lot of hoops to jump through. The good news is that Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP is here to help you every step of the way. We have over 27 years of experience representing clients in family court and we will be happy to help you as well. Give us a call today at 909-482-1422 to schedule a consultation.

To learn more about the reliable and quality family law services that we offer, visit us on the web at Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP.