Can You Cut Off Alimony If Your Ex-Spouse Finds Someone New?

Can You Cut Off Alimony If Your Ex-Spouse Finds Someone New?No one enjoys paying alimony and in many cases, people try to find all sorts of ways to get out of paying it. Alimony can put a big strain on finances so it is important to be vigilant in instances where you may no longer be required to pay it.

You might be wondering if your ex-spouse starts dating someone new, if you can cut off alimony. The answer to that depends on how serious the relationship is. Keep reading to learn more about spousal support modifications and how Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP can help you through the process.

Does cohabitation affect alimony?

Just dating someone new does not mean that alimony payments to your ex can be cut off. However, cohabitation is one instance that impacts alimony. In California, it is presumed that the spousal support obligation either decreases or ceases upon the receiving spouse’s cohabitation with another individual. The issue is that you need to prove cohabitation.

How can I prove cohabitation?

So, how can you provide cohabitation in order to reduce or end alimony payments? There are a few ways to investigate the matter, including scanning social media, talking to neighbors, determine who is paying the bills, and seeing where your ex-spouse goes after work. It is best to hire someone to do this, so you do not create any issues.

Under what circumstances can I request a spousal support modification?

If you think your spouse is cohabitating, you can request a spousal support modification. That is not the only instance you can request one in. Other instances include:

  • The spouse receiving support no longer needs it
  • The spouse paying support loses their job or is otherwise unable to afford payments
  • The spouse receiving support remarries or enters a new domestic partnership
  • The spouse receiving support is not making a good faith effort to become self-supporting
  • Child support has ended

If you think you have grounds for a spousal support modification, contact Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP today!

If you need to request a spousal support modification, contact Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP today.

While spousal support orders are legally binding, there are some instances when you can request a modification. Your ex remarrying or entering into a new domestic partnership is one reason to request a spousal support modification and Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP can help you do that. With 28 years of experience, you can trust us to handle your case. If you are ready to move forward, contact us today at 909-482-1422 to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your case.

To learn more about the reliable and quality family law services that we offer, visit us on the web at Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP.