Can I Modify Court Orders from My Divorce?

Can I Modify Court Orders from My Divorce?When a divorce is finalized, there can be a variety of court orders that take effect. These can include everything from alimony and child support to child custody and visitation. You might be wondering if you can modify court orders from your divorce. The answer is it depends. Keep reading to learn more about the situations where you may be able to modify court orders from your divorce and how Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP to help you through the process.

Alimony & Spousal Support Modifications

When you get divorced, the court may award one spouse alimony, which is also know as spousal support. The length of time that alimony is awarded for depends on many factors. However, if certain circumstances change, either the spouse receiving support or the spouse paying support can request a modification.

Examples of situations where spousal support modifications can be granted include:

  • The spouse receiving support no longer needs it
  • The spouse paying support loses their job or is otherwise unable to afford payments
  • The spouse receiving support remarries or enters a new domestic partnership
  • The spouse receiving support is not making a good faith effort to become self-supporting
  • Child support has ended

Child Custody and Visitation Modifications

If a couple has children, the court will also rule on child custody and visitation. These orders need to be followed, unless a modification is requested and granted.

Reasons that a child custody and visitation modification might be granted include:

  • Establishing sole physical custody to remove children from an unsafe home environment
  • Denying visitation to a parent who has developed a drug or alcohol problem or a dangerous mental illness
  • Providing additional supervised or unsupervised visitation to a parent who is recovering from an issue that previously made them an unfit parent
  • Making adjustments in length or frequency of visits to accommodate a relocation

Child Support Modifications

The court will also order child support in many cases where the couple shares children. However, in some situations, parents can request a modification to the court ordered child support.

Instances where a modification might be granted include:

  • A parent loses their job
  • A parent gets a new job or promotion
  • A parent gets remarried to a high-earning spouse
  • The custody agreement is changed to share physical custody differently
  • A child has been emancipated
  • Support needs to be extended beyond age 18 for a disabled adult child

If you need an experienced attorney to help with court order modifications, contact the skilled attorneys at Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP!

If you or your ex’s situation has changed and you think you qualify for a modification of a court order related to your divorce, Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP can help. WE have 30 years of experience and can help you put the best case forward for your modification request. If you are ready to move forward, contact us today at 909-482-1422 to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your case.

To learn more about the reliable and quality divorce services that we offer, visit us on the web at Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP.