Can Child Custody Agreements Be Changed?

Can Child Custody Agreements Be Changed?

The drop off. The pick-up. Shuffling back and forth between two houses. Always feeling unsettled. You child voicing their desire to stay put in one place.

Does that sound familiar? Does the back and forth custody agreement you have in place feel like it is no longer working? If that’s the case, you might be wondering what you can do about it. The child custody agreement in place used to work, but that doesn’t mean it’s working now.

Can you change a child custody agreement? Keep reading to learn more about child custody agreements and how to change them when it is in the best interest of your child.

Can child custody agreements be changed?

Yes, a child custody agreement can be changed. In fact, child custody orders can be changed at any time. Some reasons for modifications influence, a non-custodial parent needing to relocate due to new employment, a parent’s religious practices are hurting the child, if one parent is failing to properly care for the child, or at a certain age—usually, around 12—a child requests to only live with one parent.

When can a child custody agreement be changed?

A child custody agreement can be changed any time there is a change in circumstances. A change in circumstances is defined as a significant change that requires a modification to the child custody and visitation agreement for the best interest of the child.

Would child support payments also change as a result?

When a custody agreement changes, child support typically is affected. However, this will be determined by the court. It is important to incorporate changes in income since the filing of the original custody agreement into the equation and speak to a knowledgeable attorney.

Can I file a custody agreement change on my own?

If you are planning on filing a petition to change a custody agreement, you should rely on the expertise of a family law attorney like Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP. There are many nuances and variables to consider and utilizing a child custody attorney will help you get the best result.

Let the Experienced Family Law Attorneys at Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP Help You File for A Change in Child Custody Agreement!

If you are considering changing your child custody agreement it is important to have an experienced child custody attorney like Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP on your side. The process to file for a change can be complicated, and the experienced attorneys at Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP will make sure that you put the best case forward. With over 26 years of experience, you can trust that we have the skills and expertise necessary to fight for a fair agreement that works best for your child. Give us a call today at 909-482-1422 for your consultation!