“This blog is intended to provide the reader with general information regarding current legal issues. It is not to be construed as specific legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and is not a substitute for the need to seek advice from an attorney on specific legal matters.”OR “The case results that appear on this website/blog do not constitute a guaranty, warranty or prediction of the outcome of any other case. Each case is unique. This communication is for educational purposes only and is a legal advertisement.”

Are You in the Dark About Your Spouse’s Income? You Need Information During a Divorce

Posted on: July 26, 2018

Are You in the Dark About Your Spouse’s Income? You Need Information During a Divorce

Divorce is almost always complicated and when you are in the dark about your spouse’s finances, it can be even more confusing and complicated. The truth is that this can happen for many reasons, whether because your spouse does not want you to know or because you have not been interested. No matter what the cause, it is essential that you work with an attorney who can help you gather the information you need.

How to get the information you need in a divorce

If your spouse has served you with divorce papers, you believe they are about to, or you are going to serve them divorce papers, then you need to get access to their financial information. We recommend getting the following documents:

  • Credit card statements
  • Life insurance policies
  • Bank statements
  • Investments
  • Three years of tax returns
  • Retirement accounts
  • Mortgage documents
  • Auto loan documents

In the event you are worried that your spouse is going to try to liquidate your martial assets, like real estate, then there are a few things you can do. First, send a letter into the holder of the asset / property that you do not consent to the sale. You can also get a restraining order from the court. We also advise that you keep a close eye on cash in your joint accounts as well as the cash value of life insurance policies.

There are other options if your spouse is hiding assets from you

When you hire the right attorney, we can fight tirelessly to ensure that your spouse is releasing all relevant information so that we can get you a fair divorce settlement. If they refuse to cooperate then there is another option: A forensic accounting expert. They are specially trained in finding hidden assets during a divorce. This may be a necessary step in getting you fair property division and spousal support.

Is mediation an option for you?

If you are looking at a high-net worth divorce, do not assume that your only option is litigation. Even if you were not aware of your spouse’s income, if they are willing to work with you then mediation may be an option. Note that it is not only an easier and less complex option but it is much less costly than litigation. Know that if you choose mediation, instead of having your own attorney, you and your spouse will share an unbiased attorney who specializes in this type of case.

We can take your case to court if necessary

While mediation may be an option, it is also true that your best bet may be to go to court. If you are facing a divorce in which you do not trust your spouse, in which they are lying about or hiding assets, or in which they are not willing to give you a fair share then you can trust Kendall Gkikas & Mitchell, LLP to take your case to court. Reach out at 909-482-1422 for a consultation and let us find the best way forward for you.

Kristina Kendall-Gkikas
Kendall & Gkikas LLP
143 N. Harvard Avenue, 2nd Floor
Claremont, CA, 91711 USA